Thursday, April 24, 2008

In Nigeria

We stayed at Safari Park in Nairobi for one day (Tuesday), which I spent mostly trying to organise PA equipment and instruments for the conference. Met with a pastor from Nairobi Lighthouse church who is doing a great job trying to help us out, however it is a bit of a process to try and get things organised. I'm glad to have come to Nigeria to catch up with our friends here, but at the same time it makes it a bit difficult trying to sort some of these logistics out. We have a PA system now, and I think a keyboard, which was confirmed yesterday. The main critical item we need now is a drum kit. I'm going to Nairobi Lighthouse church on Sunday so hopefully I can possibly borrow theirs for the week. We have some musicians & singers from that church that have offered to help us out, and I'm meeting with them on Sunday to go through what songs we're doing etc. I think they're a bit hesitant to help us out because they want to make sure they can do something that will be of good quality and if they don't know the songs they think they may not be able to do a good job. I ensured Ps John that we're doing very easy songs that they'll learn very quickly!

In Nigeria at the moment. Left the hotel in Kenya at 4am Wednesday (yesterday) to catch 7.30am flight which left 1 1/2 hours late. Transition in Lagos then another flight to Port Harcourt which also ran late, so we got to Port Harcourt at about 6pm and rushed straight to church (which started at 5.30pm) at Royal House of Grace church. I played a couple of songs with the band (taught them the songs in about 5 minutes while the service was going on!) - it was fun though - felt like home. Caught up with Paul & Abraham, a couple of guys I met last time who are great musos and fantastic young men - wish I could bring them home with me!

Things have improved vastly in Port Harcourt since last time - the curfew has lifted and the International Airport has reopened (we landed at the army base last time we were here).

RHOG have spoilt us by putting us in a very nice hotel (Le Meridien) overlooking a polo/equestian field.

As I write this (lunchtime Thurs) we are 'resting' (as in working on Exchange conference preparations!) and awaiting our next move. As usual, things are on a need-to-know basis so we have no idea what is happening with us the next couple of days before we go back to Kenya!

Hurry up and wait.....

More when I get back to Kenya, including some video & pics hopefully!

No comments: